SHILOH — Four days after the filing period opens, the race for North Carolina’s State Senate District 1 took a turn with a fresh, grassroots-backed entry. Marine Corps veteran, first-generation farmer, and small-business owner Cole Johnson officially announced his candidacy, challenging a field already beginning to form for the open seat.
2026 Primary
Filing for the 2026 Primary begins at noon Dec. 1 and ends at noon Dec. 19.
Johnson makes his bid as Sen. Bobby Hanig sets his sights on running for the U.S. House.
“I’m not running to become part of some out-of-touch political class,” Johnson said in his announcement. “I’m running because working people in District 1 deserve a fighter in Raleigh — someone who understands what it feels like to be steamrolled by decisions made by people who’ve never stepped foot on our farms, our boats, or our small businesses.”

Johnson is the owner of Yesteryear Farm in Shiloh, where he and his wife operate a small family dairy. His background also includes eight years of service in the United States Marine Corps as an expeditionary firefighting and rescue specialist, reaching the rank of sergeant. In addition, Johnson organizes the NC Food Freedom Festival, an event promoting local food autonomy.
His decision to run stems from two recent experiences: first, a last-minute provision in the state’s Farm Act threatened to shutter his dairy’s herd-share program, forcing Johnson to mobilize with other farmers and food-freedom advocates to defend their livelihoods — and ultimately succeed in removing the language before a vote. Then, shortly thereafter, he watched coastal fishermen confront similar regulatory overreach.
Those incidents, along with his involvement in post-Hurricane Helene relief efforts, convinced him that many in northeastern North Carolina feel overlooked by the current political establishment.
Johnson positions himself as a constitutional conservative, pledging to champion limited government, free markets, individual liberty, and the Second Amendment — but says the deeper problem isn’t a lack of principles, but “a lack of representation.” His campaign will focus on reducing taxes and government spending, rolling back what he calls “unnecessary regulations,” supporting small businesses and working families, defending constitutional rights, and ensuring rural and coastal voices are heard in Raleigh.
A Crowded GOP Primary in the Making
With Johnson’s entry, the GOP primary for District 1 is already shaping up to be contested, even before the filing window closes. Two other Republicans have publicly declared their intentions to run:
- Jay Lane, a farmer and small-business owner from Elizabeth City, who filed earlier this month and emphasized his agricultural roots and a commitment to preserving the region’s farming and fishing heritage.
- Jerry Tillett, a retired Superior Court judge who served as Chief Legal Counsel to the late Senate President Pro Tempore, bringing a background in law and decades of public-service experience.
Meanwhile, Gates County Commissioner David Forsythe has formed an exploratory committee — signaling he may also enter the race.
What’s at Stake for District 1
Based in northeastern North Carolina, District 1 includes Bertie, Camden, Currituck, Dare, Gates, Hertford, Northampton, Pasquotank, Perquimans and Tyrrell counties. The seat’s open status and the entry of candidates from varied backgrounds — a small farmer and veteran, a longtime judge, a local businessman — highlight a broader question for voters: whether to choose a traditional, establishment candidate or someone who says they bring a “worker’s” perspective to Raleigh.
For Johnson, his appeal lies in personal experience — not just as a small-business owner and veteran, but as someone who claims to have felt the real-world consequences of government overreach on rural livelihoods.
“In District 1,” he said, “government has grown too comfortable taking from the people instead of serving the people. I’m running to put a stop to that — to restore common sense, restrain government overreach, and put northeastern North Carolinians back in the driver’s seat of their own future.”
What to Watch
- Formal declarations — More candidates may file in the coming weeks; the filing window officially runs through Dec. 1-19.
- Campaign messaging — Will the contest center on small-town conservatism, regulatory grievances (like those that prompted Johnson to run), or more traditional policy debates?
- Voter engagement — As the primary approaches, turnout among rural and coastal communities will be key; candidates who connect on those issues could have an advantage.





One response to “Marine Veteran Cole Johnson Announces Run for NC Senate District 1”
How are these young farmers who run businesses and have families to raise going to survive on the less than 15k a year salary our Senators make to spend the majority of their time in Raleigh?