In a nationally televised address Saturday night from the White House, President Donald Trump confirmed that U.S. forces launched a series of targeted airstrikes on Iranian nuclear facilities earlier in the day. The strikes, he said, were aimed at preventing Iran from reaching what he called “a critical point of no return” in its pursuit of nuclear weapons.
“Today, the United States took swift and decisive action to protect the American people and prevent a nuclear-armed Iran,” Trump said from the Oval Office. “We targeted key sites involved in Iran’s illegal nuclear weapons program — sites that posed a direct and growing threat to our national security and that of our allies.”
The strikes reportedly hit uranium enrichment facilities near Natanz and Fordow — long monitored by Western intelligence agencies — as well as underground bunkers believed to be involved in centrifuge development. Defense officials described the mission as “highly precise” and said the targets were chosen to minimize civilian casualties while degrading Iran’s nuclear capabilities.
President Trump made clear in his address that the United States would not tolerate what he called “aggression masked as diplomacy.”
“For too long, Iran has exploited weakness and delay to build its program in the shadows,” Trump said. “Let this be clear: under my leadership, the United States will never allow the world’s leading sponsor of terrorism to acquire the world’s most dangerous weapons.”
Bipartisan Responses in Congress
Reactions from members of North Carolina’s congressional delegation were supportive, saying a nuclear-armed Iran posed a threat.
Rep. Greg Murphy (R-NC) voiced strong support, calling the military action “necessary and overdue.”
“The Islamic Republic of Iran and its terroristic mullahs have been a threat to peace in the Middle East, the United States and the global community for decades,” Murphy said in a statement. “An Iran with a nuclear bomb gives birth to a world of jeopardy of cataclysmic destruction. President Trump worked to negotiate with the regime in good faith, however, Ali Khameni overplayed his hand and now must pay the price. May God protect the innocent lives at stake and the United States and Israel’s righteous efforts to put an end to the grievous bloodshed carried out by Iran and its jihadi proxies. God bless our servicemen safely on their home tonight (Saturday).”
Rep. Don Davis (D-NC) posted to X — “Iran is the world’s foremost state sponsor of terrorism and must be prevented from developing nuclear weapons. A nuclear-armed Iran poses a dire threat not only to the United States but also to our strongest ally in the Middle East, Israel, and the entire international community. We must not underestimate the danger Iran presents.”
US Senator Ted Budd released a statement posted to X — “Tonight (Saturday), the United States dealt a decisive blow to Iran’s nuclear program. The U.S. military alone had the capability to destroy these facilities deep underground, and I commend President Trump for standing with our Israeli allies in their efforts to end the threat of a nuclear Iran once and for all. May God bless and protect our troops, who continue to keep us safe around the world.”
Senator Thom Tillis posted to X — “This was the right decision by POTUS: we cannot allow Iran to build nuclear weapons. God bless our brave servicemembers who supported and executed this mission.”
Iran Condemns Strike, Vows Response
Shortly after the U.S. strikes, Iranian state media confirmed damage to nuclear facilities and issued a stern warning.
In a televised address, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei condemned the operation as “an act of war” and vowed retaliation “at a time and place of our choosing.”
The United Nations Security Council is expected to meet in emergency session early next week to discuss the developing situation.
Meanwhile, U.S. forces in the Middle East are on heightened alert. The State Department has issued travel warnings for several countries in the region and ordered non-essential personnel out of U.S. embassies in Iraq, Lebanon, and parts of the Gulf.
President Trump concluded his address by reaffirming America’s strength and resolve.
“To the American people: we are safe, we are strong, and we are prepared. Peace through strength is not a slogan — it is a doctrine. And tonight, the world has been reminded of that.”
This is a developing story. Updates will be posted as more information becomes available.
